Alexander D. II & Blanche L. Dulaney Scholarship Fund
A number of years ago, alumni, classmates, and friends of Cairo High School sought to preserve their educational experiences by helping other Ritchie County students. They also wanted to show a special appreciation to the teachers and staff of Cairo High School for their dedication to students' education. Headed by the reestablished Cairo High School Alumni Association, the group decided to begin raising funds for the Cairo Alumni Scholarship.
At the beginning of this century, in 1905, Cairo first began offering secondary education, and in 1907 the first one-year diplomas were issued to two students. Each year a one-year curriculum was added until the High School offered a four-year curriculum. Financed by the Grant District Board of Education through a bond issue, a modern Elementary and Secondary School was dedicated in the summer of 1913, allowing the first class to graduate in the spring of 1914. The secondary school was called Grant District High School until 1933, when it was named Cairo High School. Unfortunately, Cairo High School was forced to close in 1971, due to declining enrollment. More than 1,400 students received diplomas from Grant District High School and Cairo High School over a 66-year history.
The high school’s alumni share a love for the school, and their appreciation for the teachers and staff runs deep. Now, they are able to continue their interest in education in Ritchie County through the Cairo Alumni Scholarship. Hundreds of alumni from across the country have made contributions to the scholarship, and the first award was made in 1996.
The scholarship provides financial assistance to students from Ritchie County High School to pursue a post-secondary education. Recipients must exhibit academic promise, good character, and good citizenship. The fund is a permanent endowment, with only the earnings used to support the scholarship.
In 2010, the Alexander D II and Blanche L. Dulaney Fund was created as part of the Cairo Alumni Scholarship to provide a specific award to a Ritchie County High School graduating senior with preference to a student involved with scouting or who plans to pursue studies in nursing or education. Alex Dulaney worked with various troops in the Boy Scout organization for a number of years during his lifetime. Blanche Dulaney graduated from the Aultman Hospital School of Nursing in Canton, OH, in 1954 and worked as a registered nurse in pediatrics and later as a Public Health Nurse with the Stark County Health Department in Canton, OH. She later graduated from Towson State college with a B.S. in Early Childhood Education and worked for many years with the Baltimore County Board of Education with children who had disabilities. Alex and Blanche married in September 1958.« Back to ListingDonate