Gifts of Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Funds
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift.
Benefits of Gifts of Stocks and Bonds
- Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock.
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction.
- Make an impact for good today through the PACF.
How to Make a Gifts of Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Funds
- By electronic transfer - Please contact us for instructions on how you can transfer stock or bonds from your brokerage or investment account to the Parkersburg Area Community Foundation.
- By certified mail - If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to mail two envelopes separately to complete your gift. In the first envelope, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other envelope, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this power from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail.
More on Gifts of Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Funds
Long-term appreciated holdings often have better tax advantages than gifts of cash. When you make a gift of publicly trades stock, you can receive full market value for the gift. The value of a charitable gift of stock is determined by calculating the average of the high and low stock prices on the date that the stock is delivered to the PACF and multiplying that average by the number of shares donated. Mutual fund shares are valued using the closing price for the fund on the date of the gift.
If you have any questions about gifts of stocks and bonds, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions that you have.