Click Here to see the 2015 Scholars Newsletter, which lists our scholarship winners for 2015.
The Foundation's General Scholarship Application for the 2016 season is now closed. This year's deadline to apply was March 3, 2016.
The Foundation manages more than 175 scholarship funds that honor family or friends, celebrate retirements, memorialize loved ones, or ensure that donor values are passed from one generation to the next. Each fund has different eligibility requirements. Many awards are restricted to students graduating from certain high schools; others to students pursuing particular fields of study or attending specific institutions. Most existing scholarships are limited to students who are graduating high school seniors. Only a few are available for students whose undergraduate degree program is already underway or who are “non-traditional” students or in graduate level education. To learn if we have an award for which you may be eligible, start by reviewing the Quick Eligibility Quiz (see below).
Quick Eligibility Quiz for Scholarship Seekers
Do you live in one of the following Foundation service area counties: Calhoun, Doddridge, Gilmer, Jackson, Pleasants, Mason, Ritchie, Roane, Wirt, Wood (West Virginia); or, in Washington County, Ohio?
If your answer is yes, it is possible that we may have a scholarship or scholarships for which you would be eligible to apply. Please proceed to review our Scholarship Award Descriptions to identify scholarships for which you may qualify and then complete your application. Be aware that most scholarships presently offered by the Foundation require financial need as part of the selection criteria.
If you do not reside in one of the above-mentioned counties, then it is possible that you may be eligible for one of our scholarships if you are:
- a member of the Mountain Heritage (WV) Credit Union (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the June Keeper Scholarship);
- a non-traditional (not graduating high school senior) woman seeking vocational/educational support who lives in any of the Foundation’s service region counties (previously listed, Question 1) or alternately, in Tyler County, WV or Meigs or Athens Counties in OH (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Women's Opportunity Fund Scholarship);
- a dependent of a Simonton Windows employee (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Simonton Windows Scholarship);
- a dependent child of a former employee of the Ames Company, based in Parkersburg, WV, until the time of its closing (if yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Douglas E. Cochran Scholarship);
- a Jackson or Kanawha County WV resident pursuing paramedic, EMT, EMTI certification or a nursing degree (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Dr. David Monroe Ritchie Scholarship);
- a graduating high school senior from Noble County who has been involved with high school athletics (if yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Bob Zide Scholarship);
- a graduating senior who resides in Athens, Noble or Meigs Counties in Ohio who plans to pursue at least an associates' degree in a program related to manufacturing, transportation or logistics (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Hino Scholarship);
- a dependent child of a Wes-Jack, Inc. company, or resident of Lewis, Braxton, Upshur, Harrison or Randolph counties in West Virginia (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Larry D. and Margaret D. Brown Scholarship);
- a resident of Cook, DuPage, or Will Counties in Illinois pursuing a degree in library science (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Susan Kraybill Roberts Scholarship);
- a resident of the Tyrone School District in PA (If yes, then you may be eligible to apply for the Lubeck Elementary Teacher Scholarship);
If you do not meet either the residency requirement or fall into one of the specific categories listed above, it is unlikely that your are eligible for any of our scholarships. We suggest visiting www.morescholarships.org to research other possible resources.
Info For Students
How to Apply
To apply for Foundation scholarships, please take the following steps:
Review the Scholarship Description List to determine your eligibility for specific scholarships. Scholarships are categorized by county on each list.
Once you have identified the scholarships for which you are eligble, you need to complete Our Community's Foundation Online General Scholarship Application Form, in order to apply for most scholarships. The online application for 2016 is open until March 3, 2016. On this form, you must place a check mark next to those scholarships for which you want to be considered (please ensure that you meet eligibility criteria before applying for a specific scholarship). To start an application, you must create an account and establish a user name and password. You need to remember this user name and password to return to your application. You do not need to complete the application in one sitting. You may save your changes and return to finish later. You can return to your application to complete it by going to Applications & Forms and clicking again on the link to the online application. If you have already created an account and started your application, you will be asked to enter your user name and password in order to continue working on your application. When you are satisfied that your application is complete, you must click “submit” on the final page of the application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation once you submit your application. If you do not receive this e-mail confirmation, contact the foundation.
A few Foundation scholarships require separate application forms. Applications for scholarships not included on the Consolidated General Online Application Form also are available by clicking Applications. Information on application deadlines for these particular scholarships is on the specific application.
See our Student Tip Sheet for information to help prepare your application. Our staff is available to explain the scholarships process. If you need help, regardless of which county you live in, direct your questions to the Central Office Scholarships Program Officer. Use the Contact Us link on this page to communicate with the Scholarships Program Officer.
|December 1||Online application forms released|
|March 3||Consolidated General Application deadline
David Monroe Ritchie Memorial Scholarship Application deadline
|June 1||Women's Opportunity Fund deadline|
|June 15||All scholarship applicants notified of application status|
|July 15||Scholarship Payment Forms due to Foundation Central Office|
|October 1||Scholarships not claimed by this date are forfeited, returned to their source fund|
What to Expect After You Apply
You will receive an e-mail confirmation once the Foundation receives your online application. If you do not receive an e-mail confirmation, contact the Foundation. Once the application deadline passes, all applications are carefully reviewed using a ranking and screening process that uses many advisory committees to assist the Foundation. Applicants are typically notified of their applications’ status by early June. Awards restricted to graduating high school seniors are generally announced and presented at area schools’ ceremonies. Applicants who are not graduating high school seniors and who receive scholarships will be advised by letter. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by season-end.
Please be aware that our scholarship process is highly competitive; most awards require that financial need be considered as a key criteria. On average, about one in ten applicants receives a scholarship. The Foundation seeks to build additional funds to help meet the great need in our area for educational aid. We encourage supporters interested in helping students to receive additional aid to contact us.
In addition to scholarships under our management, we partner with area providers to provide information on other known awards in one location. Please visit www.morescholarships.org to research other scholarship opportunities and see Links and Other Resources for help on related subjects.